(requiresa 9-inch diameter pie dish)
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 cup of unsalted cold butter, cut into 8pieces
3-5 Tbsp. of cold water
1 tsp. of lemon juice
8-10 apples (depending how deep your dishis), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup cold butter
Pre-heated 350F oven
• Combineflour and salt. Cut in butter using your hands or a pastry cutter until mixtureresembles small peas. Sprinkle over water and lemon juice and gather flour intoa ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Unwrap and placeon a floured board. Roll out to desired size. Makes enough for one 9 or10-inch single crust pie.
• Carefullytransfer your pie crust over your baking dish and press the crust down on theand along the perimeter of the baking dish. Using your rolling pin, roll overthe rim of the pie to trim-off excess pastry. You may use a fork to crimp theedge of your pie.
• Peel theapples, cored and thinly slice. Toss in some lemon juice and place in the piedish to see if you have enough apples to fill the dish and prepare more applesif needed. Empty the apples into a bowl and add the brown sugar, allspice,cinnamon, flour and toss with your hands. Place back into your pie dish.
• In themeantime, pre-heat your oven to 350F and set the rack to the middle position.To make the crumble, add all the ingredients except for the butter into yourfood processor and pulse until blended. Now add the cold butter and pulse againuntil the butter is broken-up in the flour into pea-sized pieces. Empty thetopping mixture over your apples and spread evenly with your hands.
• Place inyour pre-heated oven for approx. 1 hour or until the top is golden-brown, crispand slightly bubbly. Insert a knife into the pie to ensure the apples arecooked and there is no resistance. Allow the pie to cool for 20 minutes, servewarm with homemade vanilla icecream.