3 large eggplants
1 kg of extra lean ground beef
4 tbsp of olive oil
2 large onions, diced
3 bay leaves
6 cloves of minced garlic
1 -796ml can of plum tomatoes, pureed (or Pomodoro)
1/2 cup white wine
3 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Wash and cut the eggplants into large, thin slices. Salt and them to drain for at least an hour. Pat them dry, brush them with olive oil, grill them on high heat (3 minutes per side) or place on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes in a 400F oven and reserve.
- Prepare the meat sauce by pouring olive oil into a sauce pan and add your onions, garlic and bay leaves. Reduce to medium-low and cook until the onions are translucent. Add your beef and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add your wine and reduce until there’s barely any liquid. Add your tomato sauce, oregano. Simmer until you have a thick meat sauce. Adjust seasoning and add your cinnamon. Remove the bay leaves and set aside your sauce.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
5 cups of warm milk (no lighter than 2%)
3/4 cup of Kefalotiri or Romano cheese
salt to taste
pinch of grated nutmeg
- Put the butter in a pot to melt. Add the flour, stirring quicklywith a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming. Stir & cook theflour/butter mixture to a golden colour.
- Pour in the milk while stirring and then and salt to taste,stirring the mixture constantly. When it thickens, turn off the heat and addyour cheese and slowly pour in your eggs, continue stirring.
- Add your nutmeg and stir.
- In a 18″ x 11″deep casserole, place one layer of eggplant on thebottom then spread some meat sauce over top and sprinkle with some gratedcheese.
- Add the second layer of eggplant and again the meat sauce andthe grated cheese.
- Pour the Bechamel Sauce on top and sprinkle more grated cheeseto help with a crisp, golden surface. Bake in a pre-heated 375F oven for 30-40minutes or when top is golden brown.
- Allow the Moussaka to rest for 30 minutes before cutting andserving. NOTE: If you like potato in your Moussaka, peel three large potatoes, brush with oil, season with salt and placein pre-heated 400F oven and bake 10 minutes.